View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #84
Super73

Re: My build thread.. 63 LS powered C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan3131 View Post
Sorry if I ticked you off I'm just really picky about some things.

Dan, not mad, your opinion is your opinion. But let me clarify a few things for you.

Quote:
Ok, instead of having an upper loop with the forward door bars welded in place he does it the opposite way.
I don't follow your train of thought here exactly. If you have a picture of what you are talking about, it might make better sense. Most 8-12 point cage I see have
A main hoop like behind the seat
The A pillar bars that come off the top of it to the winshield and down to the floor
A winshield bar that seperates the top them
Sometimes a dash bar depending on how much floor was removed
And a diagnal bar from the drivers shoulder to their feet, bar going out the back

Something like page 22 of this (Section 20.24):
http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/G...egulations.pdf

Quote:
Was there some reason you chose not to run the forward door bars thru the dash and then down giving you more room?
Actually there is. Ever been in a 60-63 cab with the wrap around windshield? The location in which the cage would have to go through the dash has very little meet to cut a hole through and pass a tube. It would have been a mess.

Quote:
That and the hoop behind the drivers seat is much higher than the front one.
The hoop is that high to clear my big head and helmet. The front is lower than the rear, again for a reason. Joe tries to maximize space for getting in and out as well as hide the cage from the outside.

In order for the windshield bar to be up higher, the A-pillar bar would have had to dive sooner. In other words, the bend would be closer to the main hoop. Being that bar now dives straight down, he actually created more entry/exit space for me being we didn't have the ability to go through the dash.

The curve and windshield cross bar are actually very close to the windshield, again forcing the hight to be lower than the main hoop.

Quote:
With all those tie-in bars it looks sloppy to me especially that diagonal bar. Was that placed just to keep the hoops apart for welding?
The diagnal bar serves a function. God forbid the truck didn't stay shinny side up (oh wait, there is no shinny side with my truck) it will help the cage from compressing at the tops in a roll over. A diagnal bar adds a lot of strength. Heance why I opted to have Joe X the door way. Like others mentioned, the small diagnal gussets also serve a funtion!

Plain and simple it is a lot stronger, and the point of a cage is safety right? At least that's what you said here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...65&postcount=6

It is obvious you have never built a NHRA certed cage, yet my chassis builder has been doing so since the late 80's. I'll will trust his "Mickey Moused" ways and know that I have a solid, safe, well built good looking cage.

Again, not mad, just trying to help someone out that "doesn't get it"
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote