View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #31
69gmcc10

Re: My New 03 1500HD

I have had the cooler on the truck for about a week now and I have been constantly checking the trans, it's temps and how the thermostat has been working. I have not pulled anything with it, but thanks to my handy-dandy temp gun everything seems to be running perfectly. The cooler came with almost everything I needed, hose, hose clams, brackets, adapters and bolts to mount it with. The parts that I elected to pick up were a pair of 3/8 transmission line quick connect adapters (stock replacement) that tread right into the cooler and connect to the existing trans lines and some black paint.

I lightly painted the Cooler black for 3 reasons, first it would look goofy to look through the grill and see raw a aluminum color, second to protect it from corrosion and finally the black helps dissipate heat. The black paint does insulate the cooler from transferring heat as air is drawn across it which is the coolers primary function, but it decreases that efficiency just slightly, hence the light coat to minimize those effects. Where the black paint helps is in radiation of heat sitting in traffic with little to no air flow and in this aspect it has a significant benefit.

I am not a huge fan of using rubber line and hose clamps, but it is the easiest, most economical and apparently acceptable to Tru-Cools standards way to connect the thermostat to the lines. I did use as little rubber hose as possible and flared all of the hard line ends to create as positive of a clamping location for the clamp as possible so I am satisfied with it.

I mounted the cooler in front of the rad and the a/c condenser with the original crossbar that mounts to the bottom of the stock trans cooler, I just turned the bar around so I had a flat surface to blot to and tapped into the latch support structure on the top.

Sorry, no pics of the thermostat, it is in a horrible location for a photo. It is installed in front of the forward cross member after it goes through the radiator to take advantage of the heat the radiator can provide the trans to prevent shifting issues on those cold winter days.

Did I mention this cooler is big!
Attached Images

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote