Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #65
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about going .040. With a good radiator, a good fan and a fan shroud, you should have absolutely no cooling issues.
Thanks John...I took the radiator and heater core to the shop this afternoon...I know the radiator leaks but am unsure if the heater core does...I don't think so but am gonna have it checked out as well.....The man said that even if it needed to be fixed I could still keep the original caps on either. The heater core has 66 stamped on one end. I do have the original fan shroud as well...But more on the motor below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Subscribed, you are doing great work man! Also glad to see something more unique engine wise!
Thanks TJ...Kinda getting Baptized by fire...but its like Dad said earlier ...it is very rewarding....Didn't expect all this stuff with the motor but at least I do have time to get other things done and not feel rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDad View Post
Them year motors can go .060 over with no problems. We use to race them at that.
Hi Dad....and all the rest.....I was called by the machine shop today, so after dropping the radiator off I went by to check on things....It was a good news bad news type of thing.

7 cylinders cleaned up at 40 over...YEA!!!! But this is a V8

The last cylinder would not cleanup at 40.....the guy said he knew it would clean up at 60. So I watched as he bored it out at 60 over, sure enough it cleaned up at 60. Here is where it gets kinda tricky....He said that he could bore the rest of them out to 60 and I "Should" be fine...but this is Alabama and it does get kinda hot down here...especially if I decide to eventually add air conditioning.....Based on his experience 60 over is a little much especially if you get caught in traffic, or going on a cruise at lower speeds, parades etc....

So option 1 was to bored the cylinder out and put a sleeve in it so that everything would be 40 over. He builds numerous motors around here for the dirt track guys and has tons of sleeved motors..I will not be turning near the hp that those guys do nor the compression they run.

Option 2 was try to find a replacement blocked coded the same...good luck with that..while I'm sure I would eventually find one, who is to say it wouldn't be in the same condition.

Option 3 was to cry and just buy a crate motor and be done with it.

I told him what I was trying to do by keeping the original motor in the truck...Call me crazy but I really do prefer to have that block that came with the truck sitting in the truck for as long as I can drive it....

So based on our conversation today here is what I am going to do...He is going to bore it out and put the repair sleeve in it to and ensure its 40 over just like the rest of the cylinders....He is going to put a cam that goes into a 68 Camaro ( should bump it up to around 325 hp give or take a few...not chasing a number anyways), stainless steel valves 1.94/1.50, new springs, retainers, bronze valve guides, oil pump, timing chain, pistons, rings bearings etc....you get the idea...a completely rebuilt motor.

I was really concerned about the sleeve so to put my mind at ease he told me that if I broke the motor in based on his direction that he would give me a 2 year warranty and that if the sleeve was ever the problem he would rebuild it for nothing....So I cant beat that...He knows I'm not gonna race the motor, probably drive 70mph tops..So I feel pretty comfortable with having the sleeve put in it.

He said the crank looked really good and all it needs is polishing. So its a wash on the cost.....Total cost is 2100.00

So I called the radiator shop back and asked if possible they could put 4 cores into it...just to be safe...It has a 3 core in it now. He said he would check on it...I have the original fan shroud although I don't think it was installed right by ricky the redneck who tried to build the motor before. I have the original metal pieces that go beside and above the radiator . I talked with Yelmer and he told me that as long as I put the seals back on it, make sure the fan shroud is installed correctly that the motor will pull enough air to keep it cool at any temp....If by chance it does not keep it cool enough then I can always install electric fans to keep the temp down but honestly I think it will be fine.

So besides running around I took the night off from sandblasting, priming and sandblasting some more.

I should have the motor back before next Wednesday...but will then have to do the graduation circuit for my nieces and nephews so Ill be out of pocket a few days.

I did find a gasket set for the heater box and it should be on its was along with a few other small items I saw.

One thing is for sure...It will be mechanically sound before one drop of paint goes on the body.....Based on my estimates I plan on driving it all summer long and then having it painted over the winter...maybe just maybe they will be a little slow and it will be a little cheaper

Last edited by Johns 66; 05-10-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote