View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: LS conversion alternator wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
On all the LS swaps I've done I've purchased an aftermarket harness. The aftermarket harness supplied the single wire to the 2002 Camaro type alternator. I use Fbody accessories.
I don't run the large gauge wire to the alternator from the battery. I run it from the large stud on the starter.
On the older hot rods I've LS swapped I have replaced the original vehicle wiring harnesses with Painless wiring harnesses because I just don't trust 50 plus year old wiring. Also keep in mind any late model alternator has about 3 times the output of the original alternator.

I have heard of the painless harness and it's a good solution. I mentioned in my first post that the later alternators used the single exciter wire. In the stock vehicles with the computers I believe the computers sense the circuit voltage and adjust alternator regulators through the single wire.

I wonder when you run the alternator wire to the starter cable, how are the truck circuits fed from there. In the post 76 trucks the starter cable had 2 other large red wires with fusible links connected there and they fed the truck circuits. I assume the Painless harness has that feature.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote