View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Ticker
Account Suspended

Re: Rebuilding my 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyfive View Post
whats the best thing to do to a 350 to get the most power out of it with out having to do any major rebuilding (boring out cylinders, or planeing heads)
I'm not sure if you're saying you don't want to do this work on a used engine, or if you've got a solid shortblock that's in good shape that you want to build from. Where are you starting from - what do you have right now and what kind of shape is it in? If it's an old 350 and you're tearing it down...you will need to overhaul it, you can't just put it back together and expect it to run - no less make 400 HP!

A basic overhaul is going to cost around $2K, and will make less than 1 HP/CID, or around 300 HP in a 350 CID GEN I. There are a lot of assumptions in that number

The shortest, cheapest route to make 400HP from a GEN I is to build a 383; that's about a $3500-$5000 build.

The best starting point for a low-buck performance GEN I build is with a clean later-model roller-cam Vortec engine. Even if it's high milage, these engines are typically in great shape with little bore wear and excellent heads for a medium power build.

There's a bunch of generalities - the more specific information you give, the easier it is to get more specific
Ticker is offline   Reply With Quote