View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #314
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Next up I bolted the radiator in. A quick check showed that while the hole I drilled wasn’t exactly centered it would work.

Name:  BAA.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  24.2 KB

Next up was the lower radiator hose. The lower hose for a 68 with the 366 is obsolete and no longer available. The 89 setup wouldn’t work because the new radiator is about 4 inches wider to the passenger side and the hose setup couldn’t fit. The 89 actually used two short pieces of rubber hose with a steel pipe in between. This was because the alternator belt is really tight to it and by using steel they could keep the needed clearance. I ended up getting a lower hose for a 78 c60 366 which was all rubber but also did not fit. By cutting off part of the steel pipe and part of the 78 hose I was able to fabricate a working solution. Here are the bits I cut off:

Name:  BAB.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  34.6 KB

and the hose mocked up

Name:  BAC.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  39.3 KB

Here you can see how close the alternator belt is to the steel pipe. There is only about ¼” clearance!

Name:  BAD.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  36.8 KB

I also spent MANY hours making up the oil cooler lines. I didn’t feature them in any pictures specifically, but here is one showing the upper line:

Name:  BAE.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  34.4 KB

Five pic limit again…
-Richard