View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Re: Project Trippin Hazard

I bit more history and updates.

As mentioned earlier, while in the hands of one previous owner, he had begun to make some changes to the truck. The 12 bolt was narrowed, 6 inches overall, and rebuilt with 3.73 gears and a posi. Also, it looks like all new brakes/drums from the backing plate out were installed.

I believe the Pro Street look was the ticket, and so a narrowed set of wheel tubs was put together as well.
I said that the truck came with two wheels, here they are as I go them. I washed one, and left the other untouched.. They need some serious polishing!

Fast forward about 6 months, I had been wondering what I was going to do with just two wheels, one 18x8, the other 18x10, directionals no less.... I'm not even sure it can be called luck, but low and behold, one night while trolling Craigslist I cam across an add for a pair of "Boyd" wheels... I looked at it, and the ad indicated it was a pair of 18x8 wheels that were new in the box. 5x5.

Even after I called and made arrangements to go take a look, i was still thinking to myself 'what am I going to do with 3 wheels the same, and one odd ball'... Ok, now for the best part, the gentleman that owned these turned out to be someone I had dealt with several years ago on some NOS parts. He travels around buying up the NOS and assorted parts from dealers going out of business or looking to part with inventory for whatever reason. The wheels he had new in the box were from a Chevy dealer that closed it's doors, and he bought out a ton of stuff..

So, there I was standing in his driveway while he dug out two boxes from his parts stash, we open them and BAM!!!! they turn out to be the actual mates to the pair I have, one 8 inch and one 10!
As i understand it, one previous owner worked at the same dealer that went out of business, and he had only got his hands on two wheels before the doors closed...

Holy Crap!! I call that Really good Karma.

I could not pay the price we negotiated fast enough, (it was so low I could hardly contain myself)

I got them home, grabbed the two i had and verified i had a full set of 8's and 10's, each one the correct rotation.
Then I decided they need to get polished and sealed even though the truck was still hiding under my Costco garage, and would not get inside the shop for a month or more.

I had to try one on for size even before i got to cleaning...

Here are some shots of the wheels going through and after the Cleaning/polishing process.

Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote