View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #13
Short 3/4

Re: 66 K-10 Steering Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't throw good things out either. I have some 2wd manual steering boxes from low mile C/30s that got converted to 4wd. I figure they are good for any number of things, possibly non-automotive. I have some granny 4spds too, same reason. I might want to make a merry-go-round or something

I kept this '69 W200 manual. I was young and never gave the effort a thought. I got the "Armstrong steering" comments all the time.
Wow, great flashback. I also had a 69 Power Wagon in the 70's, back when my hair also went down to my shoulders. Mine was white with a blue grill. Also had manual steering, which was never a problem. Didn't have large tires on it, but it did have a heavy old big block over the front axle.
Had a one ton square body company truck in the late 80's with manual steering. Worst truck I've ever driven. That small steering wheel just didn't work, and obviously they changed the gearing on the box, probably to get people to spring for the more expensive power set up. The 66 with manual that I drove to and from work on the other hand, was absolutely no problem to drive, go figure.
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote