View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #36
75Dually

Re: 68 GMC to a 2003 Tahoe chassis

A really good day in the shop. My wife and I went and saw my youngest perform in a band competition this morning, and then when I got home I got to spend the rest of the day working in the shop. Life is good!

First I want to give an update on the parts soaking in the vinegar solution. I pulled the parts out and they just needed a quick brushing which knocked all the remaining rust off. They were super clean after the brushing. Go back up and check out the original pic of when I pulled it out of the door and compare it to the pic below. A VERY IMPORTANT POINT! Glad I now have your attention! This process takes the parts all the way down to the base metal, which means they will start to rust very quickly if you don't get a good coat of WD40 or something similar on them ASAP. You can see some slight rust on the big gear portion of the window mechanism in the below pic. That part started to rust right after I got it cleaned off, so make sure you coat your soaked parts right after you take them out of the solution. The solution BTW is 1 gallon of vinegar and 1 cup of sugar. That's it. Super simple, but I have not ever found anything that takes so little work to get rid of all that rust so easily. I recommend it! The passenger door parts are soaking in it now.

I got the passenger door all torn down today too. I coated the bottom of the door like I did the drivers side with some etch primer after I sanded everything down. I do have some body work to do on lower portion of the kick panel where years and years of feet striking it have taken there toll. Other than that I will have the doors in paint fairly soon. I will be doing the interior of the doors in white. They should look really nice when completed and reassembled.

The interior door panels for both doors got sanded down and a coat of etch primer was laid down. They should be dry by morning, and when I get back from church I will spray them in silver.

Thanks for checking in on my build!

Stay tuned...
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote