View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #67
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Progress on the transfer case....

Got the Ford divorced NP205 housing painted, Chevy Orange of course, that makes up having a Ford part in a GM truck.

Started pulling the mated Ford 205 apart to rob it of its internals to put in the divorced housing. I started by pulling the shift rails to do the usual twin stick mod.

On the rear shift rail ONLY for the twin stick mod, mark out 3/8'' from the end and 7/16'' from the end of the middle interlock pin slot, as shown in the picture.

Then grind the rail until the sharpie markings are gone, and it should look like what is shown in the picture. Remember if you remove too much from the rail, it's a pretty expensive mistake since you have to try to buy a used one or a brand new one. Don't remove too much and you'll be fine. Measure twice, cut once. I did the grinding with a die grinder and grinding disc attachment, its very controllable but works fast.

Almost looks factory!

Then I tore into the case, since I've done this a few times it probably only took me 30 minutes to tear it down. Nothing to these NP205's. The internals are nice and clean but I'm going to pull everything completely apart and inspect/clean, I really only want to have to do this once so the extra time spent now is well worth it in the long run.