View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #156
1972 Jimmy

Re: What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange72blazer View Post
Is that a Bronco Bob roll cage? If so how do you like it? I have been thinking of getting one but wanted to see what one looked like installed in a Blazer, the pics on there website don't really show much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
YES!! More pics/info on the cage! I have been trying to think up a design that would look good in my 2wd, and I think that might be it!
Hey guys,
Yes the majority of this cage is from "Bronco Bob's" (BB's). Bob bends all the tubing (2" DOM .120 thick) up for you, all you have to do is cut and notch the tubes to length. The portion of the cage in the bed is all bent tubing from BB's. However, I ended up not using the front tubes going down the windshield frame. No fault of BB's. I was not specific when I ordered the cage stating that I needed clearance for the A/C vents in the dash. I could of used BB's front tubes they would have just come straight down to the into the door opening to allow clearance for the A/C vents. So, I had the front tubes bent (1.75 DOM .120 thick here in my home town) to clear the A/C vents and allow more foot clearance getting in/out of the truck. Also, I added two bends in the upper horizontal windshield bar to get more head clearance and also allow the use of the sunvisors.

Overall very happy with the BB's set up!!

Just a couple of helpful fab'ing tips....I ran into struggles trying to fit a cage under multiple tops (original double wall, original single wall and a Softopper)
I started out installing the cage with the plan of having it fit under a double wall and a softopper. So I started with the double wall on the truck thinking the cage would be a tighter fit. Which the sides were very tight!!! When putting on the softopper the cage was way to tall to clear the softopper support bows. I had to drop the middle hoop 2" in order to clear to Softopper front two bows. So everything was great in till I found a single wall top on craigslist. I bought it wanting to replace the double wall. Well.....believe it or not the single wall cage will not fit under the cage unless you significantly shorten the height of the hoops or have BB's bend the hoops to a lesser width. So when our ordering from BB's make sure you state if you have AC or a double vs single wall top!!
One last thing you might want to keep in mind when you fab'ing up the mounting plates, you might want to keep the outside edges within the bedside rails so that you can pull the entire cage out of the truck to paint it or remove it for any reason.
If you guys want any more specific pics let me know!!!
Hope this novel helps!!
Eric

Name:  20140811_180854.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  20140811_181033.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  20140811_180812.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  20140811_180924.jpg