View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #31
Marty68

Re: 283 carb choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I have two 283's. One is bone stock except for an HEI and dual exhaust. The other has been decently warmed up. My personal feeling about my stocker is that I'm not going to modify it because it actually scoots along pretty good. I took the time to really dial in my timing curve and use a column shift 3 speed tranny with a gear spread that really jives well with my rear end gears. My second reason is I love the stock look for the truck it resides in.
I have placed the cast stock iron manifold next to an Edelbrock Performer and the port sizes were clearly smaller. My stock motor does have "Power Pack" heads and the ports on them are clearly larger than the OEM manifold, looking similar to the Edelbrock ports. I figure the heads would mate up well with the larger manifold but can the small stock motor, with the stock little cam even suck enough wind to make it worth it? Would it loose the off idle "pep" that I enjoy in traffic? If you try it, I'd like to know the answer.
Edit: i do know that using an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb with a Performer EPS manifold works great in a sixty over 283 (makes it a 292) with an RV cam and ported and polished 305 H.O. heads.... it will walk away from the stocker, but it's not like a 350. You build a 283 because you want a 283.
mine has the power pak heads also. I will keep the script covers. and want to find 4bbl base for original air cleaner
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote