View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #20
68Stepbed

Re: Which brand of posi

Keep in mind the OEM installed Eaton was the G80 Gov-Loc, which in all reality is complete junk. It's a centrifugal weight activated locker. They have tendencies to be inconsistent, noisy, and usually they unlock them selves when turning to one side vs. the other. They're also very weak, That 496 would make mince meat of them rather quickly. They aren't rebuildable.

Now, the Eaton LSD is an absolutely wonderful unit. They're super consistent, operate quietly, and are very tough. Also, they can be upgraded. in standard form, they come with 400 lb. preload springs and carbon clutches, but can be upgraded to 800 lb springs and Kevlar clutch material. They're also rebuildable. If you wear it out, send it back in the have the clutches and preload springs replaced.

I personally have never dealt with the Tru-Trac, but I've never heard anything negative. I do know they're more preferred in road racing than dragstrip use.

The Auburn unit is a good unit, but isn't rebuildable or upgradable.

Also, if you're interested in better highway manners, a 3.42 gear is also a good option so you don't lose that low end grunt.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote