View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 03:40 AM   #43
MaxPF

Re: A K5 Cummins Conversion: The saga continues...

Since the exhaust was now good to go, I needed some intake plumbing. I was leery of all the Chinese silicone couplers out there, so I opted for Gates couplers used for MD/HD trucks and equipment. I got simple straight couplers that I could cut to length for areas where little flex was needed:

I also needed one flexible coupling on each side, so I got a pair of ring-retained hump hoses:

Note the "Made In USA" on the hoses I also got some constant-tension t-bolt clamps to retain the hoses.

I also needed tubing. Some of the stuff I found was ridiculously expensive. I ended up using Chinese aluminum u-bends because I could actually afford them. I made a simple bead tool to put a bead on the ends, and after some , , , and I ended up with these:

Starting at the turbo:

Through the core support:

Into and out of the intercooler:

Back through the core support:

Around the extra-wide diesel radiator, which other swappers assured me COULD NOT be done:

A hump hose mid-pipe:

And finally into the intake elbow:

I had to use regular hose clamps here because the constant tension clamps were too wide. In case your wondering, yes, it does clear the master cylinder. Barely:

There was one other minor thing I wanted before I threw the batteries in and took it for a spin. I wanted a place to tee both positive battery cables off to the starter. A piece of Delrin, a 3/8" Allen bolt, and an hour of lathe time later yielded this:

It's mounted to the front of the drivers side battery tray stand. Following that was some uninteresting and still unfinished wiring and installation of the air cleaner (which I lost the pics to somewhere ), and it was ready to drive! Yay! So, how did that go? Stay tuned to find out...
1991 V1500 Blazer (Silverado), 5.9L 12V P-pumped Cummins (5x .012 sac injectors, #6 fuel plate, WH1C with external 38mm wastegate running 30psi), NV4500 with 1-⅜" input shaft, SBC Con-O clutch, NP205, HAD, 4.10 D61/14BFF spinning 37" Nitto Exo's

"I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive."
MaxPF is offline   Reply With Quote