View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
19SIKtySix

Re: Finish Wiring of a Stand Alone Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
I'm on hold while my truck is away at paint for the next several months. I have the stock engine harness I'm going to rework. I have instructions for the fuse block to add to the end of the new harness. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the rest of the engine compartment. My 65 is bare.

I need to buy a main wiring harness to wire the whole truck - lights, dash, most of it no big deal, just pondering about the engine compartment because some of the original wiring will not be needed with the LS engine harness replacing it? What I did was purchase a new 22 circuit wiring harness from Speedway to rewire my truck with. True some wires you won't need if doing an LS swap. The only existing wires I used were the wire in my stock steering column and the wires for my cab light.

Starting at the battery and where to go first. Starter? Do I need a main fuse/junction? The best advice I was given was to make sure you have good grounds. I purchased 1/0 welding cable and have a ground from the battery to frame, frame to engine block on opposite corners and engine block to body. I have 1/0 positive wire from the battery to the starter and the main wiring harness directly to the battery. I plan to add a power junction box, like the newer trucks have, beside the alternator and connect my alternator and electric fan there.

Where to come off of to feed the main fuse box. Voltage regulator? or is there one built in to the LS alternator? Neutral safety switch? Some of the stuff I'm pondering. Do you currently have your motor, is the harness modified already? If you have the funds, you can purchase an LS harness from several reputable places and just tie it in to your main harness. I would strongly consider a new wiring harness, just so you have confidence that all wiring is new and solid.
Hope this helps some.

Instagram: c_lo_garage

Check out my 1966 C10 project "El Viejito" here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=674614
19SIKtySix is offline   Reply With Quote