View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #627
TKCR

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

The 81-87 seats, GM definitely did a cost down on these seats. Don’t get me wrong, they are still good functioning seats, it’s just the metal for the seats frames are much thinner. I have a lot more things that need repaired when it comes to the 81-87 seats. I find cracks in the seat bottom frames. If they are just small hair line cracks, they get reinforced with welds. If the cracks are too bad, then the frame gets trashed, and there have been quite a few like that.
GM half a$$ed the welds on the seat backs. I find numerous seat backs, where the weld has broken, so the back bar has broken loose from the hinge. These all get welded back way better than GM ever did on these, lol.
Then there’s the springs & grid. These get stretched, broke or just missing springs. Again, I repair all this. What can’t be repaired, gets replaced. I have to chuckle to myself and shake my head when someone is selling an old seat, and they say, the frame and springs are GOOD. No they are not. All this stuff rears it’s ugly head once the seat is stripped. Most of this is hidden from the naked eye, so until the seat is stripped, you won’t see most of the things I just mentioned. Missing or broken coil springs, yes you’ll notice that if you turn you seat over.
And I need to mention, that frame in the first pic, it was trashed. I was just too rusty and beyond repair.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 11-02-2021 at 09:27 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote