View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #736
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Looks awesome Vic, wiring job looks super clean!
Thanks, Scott. I did have one wiring hiccup, but it was easy to fix. Andrew Borodin - Holley tuner extraordinaire - came to the house yesterday and got everything sorted out. We ran into a bad reading from the MAP sensor and when we traced the wires, it turned out that, despite all the research I'd done, the wiring wasn't correct. When I replaced the Gen 3 plug with a Gen 4, I picked the wrong info source for the pin locations. Such is the way of the internet. We used a de-pinning tool to swap the wires into the correct slots and just like magic, the engine cranked up.

After about two hours of shop/driving time Andrew had the engine running like a little sewing machine. The trans works great too. It's hard to tell if the cooling system issues are completely gone because the ambient temperature was much less than it was last summer. However, in the shop, fan 1 would come on briefly and then cycle off less than a minute later. So, the switch to the 11" Spal units seems to have been worth it. On the road, the temp stayed at 183 (180 degree thermostat) and the trans temp never got over 160. Tripling the size of the trans cooler was probably a good move too.

I have a few remaining minor things to do, and then we'll be ready for cruising. Back to my louver project...
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote