View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Axle swap help on 70 K10 with Dana 44

I'm considering doing a front axle swap on my 70 K10 over the winter and want to get input on some things. I want to swap over from drum brakes to disc and need some help. I originally thought about trying to tackle rebuilding the D44 and converting it from drum to disc. After thinking about it further, I thought I would just do a complete axle swap to a newer (73-87) D44 disc set up.

So I know that I have the 70 open knuckle design with drum brakes, and I can convert them to disc "fairly easily" to some, but I don't think I want to tackle a complete axle rebuild. I was thinking about buying a complete rebuilt axle, which would already be set up with new bearings, seals, gear set, ball joints, U-joints, calipers, rotors, brake pads and lock-outs. This would make the swap fairly easy for me to accomplish. Your thoughts?

Also, can someone tell me about 10-bolt axles? I thought D44 (like mine) were 10-bolt axles? Are those newer axles that have larger axle diameters? I need some education here.

A couple of things that I have questions/concerns about are:
  1. I'm pretty sure I need another D44 axle to stay with 6-bolt lugs and 2.75" axle tube diameter. This goes back to the 10-bolt axle questions above.
  2. Do I swap over front axle only or is there a way to convert the rear to disc also? Is it worth it?
  3. What master/booster do I go with? Or do I go with a hydro-boost set up?
  4. Any concern over brake lines or fit up to calipers that I need to know about?
  5. Since the front and rear axles are different widths, have you guys done anything to change the track width and that uneven look by either different rear axle swap, custom back-space rims, spacers, etc.?

Thanks as always for your input and help.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote