View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Re: Hood safety strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i can't say i've read one thread here where that has happened, i've driven old trucks since the 70s and never had a problem
personally i think if you keep your truck in good condition you will never have a problem
my 58 has the original hood latch
Back when I was a kid I taking two years to finish the top chop on my truck I think I took it on 15 minute "test drives" more than I worked on it. LOL One day I took it on one of these test drives down a narrow street near my house. I had forgotten one little thing, that I had removed that panel in front of the radiator that holds the hood latch! Now the hood was on and off the truck often so there were no hinges, I had a little quarter inch bolt on each side of the hood holding it to the cowl.

I was hauling ass down this little street when the hood started bouncing up and down at the front, it hit me that it had no latch! DUH! I stomped on the brakes and the hood flew off straight up, I mean WHAM straight up never even touching the cab. I was going down the street looking out the rear window waiting to see it hit a car on the roof of the many that were lining the street. The hood hits upside down coming down like a plane right in the middle of the street! I have a photo of that hood when I got it home.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote