View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #843
dzbowtie

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Well...let's say what did I do over the last week. So I had the idea of replacing the steering gear box on my 70 lwb. Mine was originally a manual steering truck. I replaced the set up with a tilt, power column and box from a 72 originally. After about 10 years, and realistically a few before that, she let me know she was done. I couldn't keep fluid in it to save my life. To be fair to the old girl, there is no telling how long she sat on the old truck before I acquired her for mine. Anyway, after searching all over town for a rebuilt unit, I came across the last one probably known to man. I'm thinking sweet, I'm good. As I'm getting everything ready to go back together, my rag joint tells me to go **** myself lol (if that's not allowed a do apologize). Since I don't swap these units out daily, and am still fairly young and inexperienced, I was unaware that there were different shaft sizes. I mean in all fairness, that's like male adolescence 101 right? Should have known. Anyways, no one has a rag joint in stock. This is after finding out that the far majority of parts house associates don't know what a rag joint is. For those shopping for one, ask for a "steering coupler". 3 days and about 5 ups men later, the part makes it to the local store and is picked up. For a small fella, that steering box is a heavy bastard. The whole backwards bolt trick was amazing, thank you forum guys! Got her back together and back on the road. The steering is tighter than before, but not bad. I believe I got most of the air out of the lines etc. so, after about a week, she back up and running. Now I can get back to work and park her in the middle of all the plastic trucks lol. Finally, love this forum and the wealth of knowledge from you all is tremendously useful and appreciated! Keep it going.