Thread: My '69 Suburban
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
1971BB427

Re: My '69 Suburban

Swap meet in Portland last weekend, and I picked up a tube grille for $5! Problem was it's for a later Chevy without the center bar, but couldn't pass it up for the price. My egg crate plastic portion was beat, and pieces missing. Hard to see since it's sprayed flat black, but I see it, and it bugged me.
Today I got out the tools and the die grinder, and tore the front grille off. I took the die grinder to the tube grille and removed the center two tubes so that left 3 above and 3 below the center piece.
Then I took some measurements for the mounting brackets that attach to the radiator core support, and cut 2" off the brackets to set the grille back. After that I measured the grille and mounted the brackets to the core support. Then bolted the grille to the brackets and reasembled my hood latch and the turnsignals.
Now I've got a combination of original grille and tube grille set back slightly. I like it because it's not plastic, and personalizes the grille without modifying it too much.

1971BB427 is offline   Reply With Quote