View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
masterjohnson

Re: Crank Position Sensor on 8.1L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Has anyone here replaced this?

We bought a 2002 8.1L Suburban and it has started to stall... I searched online and found that a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor can cause this and is common on this motor. Unfortunately, I'm finding conflicting info on where it is located... one said rear - back of block, near tranny... other said near the EGR by a fuel line. So, I'm hoping someone here has the right info.

Also, where is the best place to get a new one? The dealer or a parts store?
It's on the top rear of the engine, behind the intake manifold. The EGR valve is in the center, the crankshaft position sensor is on the driver's side next to it. The engine oil pressure sensor is on the passenger's side next to the the EGR valve. There's a large wire bundle splitting offto all three of those components. The connector to the CKP sensor has 3 pins, wiring colors arelight green, a yellow/black, and a dark blue/white.

You need to raise the vehicle andremove the fuel line bracket from the bellhousing stud, then from obove remove the driver's side ignition coil bolts and reposition the coilto get to the sensor. Disconnect the electrical connector. Use penetrating oilaround the sensor and allow it to soak in, then remove the CKP sensor bolt and gently twist the sensor back and forth. When it's free,remove it.

Last edited by masterjohnson; 02-12-2011 at 02:51 AM.
masterjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote