View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
66fleetsidewarrior

Re: 327 small journal crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a small journal vs. a large journal 327. Actually, the large journal 327s were only around for the last 2 years of the 327 production run, and only because Chevy went to the large journal on all of the small blocks in '68.

As far as the rpm range of a 327, the sky is the limit. A properly built 327 will buzz to 7000 rpm or higher quite easily. As far as an engine with both torque and horsepower capability, the 327 is a great engine. Probably my favorite SBC ever.

Summit cams are cheap, but like John says, there are much better cams on the market. Cam technology has come a long way in the last 10 years now that they're using computers to design cam profiles. Save your money and go with a newer technology cam from a reputable company. To me, spending $75 more on a cam that makes more horsepower and torque is worth every penny.

Like it was mentioned, you have to be very diligent when breaking in a flat tappet cam with today's oils. The lack of zinc in today's oils will kill a cam quickly during the initial break-in. You must use a proper break-in additive, along with an oil that provides you with the most amount of zinc possible.
This is the kit I am looking at for a rebuild. I have not been able to find any information about the rod size/small journal, large journal. Any thoughts on the kit?
66fleetsidewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote