View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #44
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 1968 chevrolet truck power steering conversion

Barnfind, your biggest problem will be PS brackets and pulleys. You can sometimes find them in the classifieds but jump fast, they don't tend to linger. They at getting pricey since there aren't many around. I've seen sets of brackets only go for $150.The gearboxes up to IIRC 87 (later for Burbs) are bolt on but you may have to match the output fitting to the later hose. They changed styles at some point to an O-ring style. The Rag joint may also be different, some are some aren't. I bought a rebuild kit for a rag joint and used the original flange on each half and rebuilt the middle. The swap is fairly easy but when you find a set of brackets, make sure to get the pulleys. You can usually source them from any 250 without the integrated head (where the head, intake and exhaust manifolds are one unit). Don't forget to make sure you get the pulleys that match the PS Brackets and pump and make sure you get them all. It's a fairly straight swap of parts but you'll probably need to measure for a belt. I used a piece of twine and tied it to length so it fit like the belt I needed. Don't forget to get all the Pulleys from the vehicle you rob parts from. I got my pulleys and brackets off of a 74ish Nova. Some others will have them and all the 250 without integrated head that I have seen, will work. Here's the score or the repetition of "GET ALL THE PULLEYS". If you have to try to match pulleys to what you have or are adding, you will probably wind up doing more work and research to do that than the whole rest of the swap put together. I know I have seen at least 3 different sets of pulleys and 2 different sets of brackets. There's also some difference in the PS pump pulley itself. I would suggest getting the hoses from both the bracket donor and the gearbox donor. Even if you have to have a hose made, you will have the fitting size and style to show the Hyd hose guy. Hope this has helped.

There are some mods you can make to the 250 with integrated head to make them work. I haven't done it but if you use the search function, you'll find the info. There aren't many questions that haven't been asked and answered several times on the board and many of the longtime members will usually tell you to use the search first (don't take it personally) or post a link to those to save the typing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-12-2017 at 10:38 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote