View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #111
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

Inching forward.

Installed the harness back in the truck and I'm pretty happy with the fit. At the risk of starting another 'science project' I think I'm going to slit some 1.5" mandrel bends to make some injector covers.

Cut and welded some 304 mandrel bends to use as radiator hose, but I don't like the way it looks. I'm going to bead blast it to a satin finish and see if it looks any better, and it that doesn't work, I'm going to paint them satin black. The bottom one looks ok though

Here's another view with stretched t-shirt fiberglass fan shroud all painted and mounted in place

The air intake tube is in place, but still need to fab some brackets to keep it from flopping around on the silicone coupler. This intake puts the filter down to about the bottom of the radiator. If I ever drive it in deep water there's a very good chance I could hydrolock the motor, but in AZ I'm willing to live with it.

Here is the assembly out of the truck

I wanted to mount the factory front sway bar to the truck's frame, so some brackets were in order because the Jag's sway bar mount points are 1.5" outside the frame

I ordered urethane bushings, but the Jag part wouldn't fit them so I fabricated these out of what remains of my old steering column and some scrap angle iron.

Argon tank is empty and will weld them up as soon as I can get a refill.

Couldn't get a decent flare on the stainless tube on the tank sender, so I just put Swagelok fittings on them. I'm starting to dislike working with stainless. The tubes were sealed to the flange with a solder joint that had come loose. I tied them together and sealed it with a swipe of JB weld. Just about ready to start plumbing for fuel.

Nits and lice........

Shop checked the camber, caster and toe on the front end and it looks like it is good enough to get it to the alignment shop. Mounted the Viair compressor on the frame rail next to the battery box. Cycled the front suspension from stop to stop and lock to lock on the steering and have a little tire rub at full lock and the airbag nearly at its lower bump stop. I think it will be ok (Thanks again JoeDoh for your airbag suspension advise)

Starting plumbing next week - finally
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote