View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #114
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

I used a stock 5.3L truck pan. There's a sticky over on LS1Tech that has a pretty extensive summary of all the oil pan options for the LS motors -maybe you can find a better option there- Here's a link-

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

When I fabricated the motor mounts I made sure that the pan's bottom wasn't any lower than the front crossmember. The Jag cross member is 'rear steer' so that's about all I could do for a pan.

For other LS conversions that I've done, I've cut the bottom off the truck oil pan and shortened the oil pickup tube. The truck LS holds a quart more oil than the F-body LS, so I figured the engine could spare it. Filled the bottom of the pan with a quart of water and cut it there, then welded on a piece of 6061 Al plate to the bottom. Only cost me about $10 in aluminum, but I sure caught hell for running the pan through the wife's dishwasher multiple times so I could weld it.

For other conversions where I didn't have interference with the front cross member or rack, I've used the F-body oil pan to pick up some ground clearance.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote