View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
hjewell2

Re: What ate the fuel sender float?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
stuff deleted.

I'll venture a guess on what ate it. Does your state mandate ethanol in your fuel like mine does? Most states do. I've heard many different stories on how ethanol doesn't hurt what you have unless you let it sit.

I found this online:
Ethanol attracts water. When the two get together, they create the perfect environment to grow a type of bacteria called acetobacter. After getting drunk on their EPA-sponsored kegger in your gas tank, the acetobacter excrete acetic acid. And acetic acid is very corrosive.

If you’re refilling your gas tank every week or two, acetobacter don’t have time to grow a sufficient size colony to damage metal parts in your fuel system. But if your fuel sits for longer periods of time these microorganisms continue to multiply until your gas tank contains damaging levels of acetic acid.
Me personally, I go WAY out of my way to put "non-oxy" aka ethanol free gas in all my small engines; snowblower, weed whip, generator, lawn mowers, outboard motors, etc. I usually drain all tanks like outboard tanks when they sit all winter. In my zero turn lawnmower, which is harder to drain, I start running a product like Stabil in about September so it gets through the system before it sits.

Since my truck is used little in the winter I make sure non-oxy only goes in there. Same for my Chevelles which sit a lot. AND I treat that with Stabil or Seafoam in the last fill-up before winter.

My daily driver, it gets the state mandated stuff. I've never seen any ill effects from using it in there because I go through so much.
YUP what he said , do the exact same here in Michigan.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote