View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
68c10owner

Re: 1 pc rear main v 2 pc rear main

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookSlowGoFast View Post
Attachment 1498955

Sweet! I picked up the block today and the rotating assembly is on its way. I already have just about everything else. Check out the parts list below and let me know what you think!

factory roller block w/4 bolt mains
fully machined and .030 over
Eagle rotating assembly w/hypereutectic pistons 9.5:1 w/76cc heads, 3.75 stroke cast crank, forged 5.7in rods
EQ Torker heads w/2.02 in 1.6 ex, 76cc cnc'd chambers, and I believe 190cc runners, but may be wrong on that one
Stainless roller rockers 1.6
Holley Street Dominator dual plane intake
HEI distributor
th350 trans

Planning on a roller cam of course and waiting on Comps recommendation

What size carb should I go with 650, 670, or 700cfm?
I plan to keep it under 6,000 rpm with a rev limiter.
Anybody have experience with using a smaller carb on a 383?

Should I switch to a single plane intake? The truck will mainly see street use.

What about gear ratio for the rear end? I'd like to go fast and drive on the highway.

Any and all suggestions, tips, and comments welcome.

Thanks!

I would not even consider a single plane intake for a street engine in a truck. since you are using a 6000rpm limit you will be using a fairly mild camshaft for torque and the single plane wouldnt benefit you too much. I have seen them make more power than dual plane intakes at low rpm but I dont think you need to worry about it. A Performer RPM would be my choice.

I also would not use a 1.6 rocker arm unless you need it. and since you dont have a camshaft yet there is no need for it. They are not automatic power adders. They will also increase your valve lift which can cause problems with retainer to guide clearance, piston to valve clearance, pushrod clearance and require extra spring pressure. I would go with 1.5 unless you end up with a camshaft with low lift and need to bump it up to make sure of the heads air flow. since Im not familiar with those heads I dont know what they flow. A 190cc runner sounds good but tells me nothing about what they flow.

You can use a smaller carb but your fuel requirements will be different from say a stock 402. I would probably use the 670cfm carb from your list. I had a 670cfm street avenger years ago that was a decent carb. I was strictly Holley carbs when I was younger but I have been leaning towards qjets lately. They are great for economy and have great performance as well. Check out Sean Murphy Induction for more info on them. He is probably the best guy around for qjet performance.

Gears will depend on several things. What tire size do you have? What camshaft do you have? What transmission do you have? And is it up to the task of this new engine? Stall converter? What type of driving are you going to do most? is fuel economy important to you?

Dont forget you will want to upgrade the fuel pump to feed the new engine and possibly a ignition upgrade. A rev limiter isnt really needed unless you just want one.