View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #128
no1udknow

Re: jimbosprint 1972 C20 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Honestly the metallurgy in the new crate motor is so much better than the old 60's-70's small blocks it's not even funny, you have the better deal with what you have you just need to figure out a solution and trust me it's out there.
You will burn up your spark plug wires very quickly unless you shield and route them properly then you will definitely be unhappy, don't give up so easily.
The local machine shop will know in 2 seconds what heat shields you need with that block/exhaust manifold combination so load up the engine and take it down there, they will probably even have them in stock and sell them to you.
Burn up the wires??? Jimbo, I can't remember an engine that I have had that ever burnt up wires without heat shields. Yes, most of them had headers, but even ones with the OG mani's and no heat shield never burnt up wires. But as far as the heat sbield mount goes, are you afraid to drill and tap it yourself? You may need a special tap to work with the hardness of that block, but you can take a dial caliper and measure the depth of the holes on the old one, and then mark it out on your drill bit so you dont go too deep, then just use a corded variable speed drill, go slow, and use lots of cutting oil. You could do it man, I have faith. Then when you are running the tap, you go 3/4 turn forward, then 1/4 back to remove debris, and keep spraying the cutting oil. Youll be done in no time.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote