View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 02:00 AM   #3
Kubb2601

Re: 87 GMC Cummins Repower

After many hours of searching the forums I determined my best bet would be to get a whole truck, preferably a 90-93 dodge because it would have a passenger side drop Tcase and I could use the whole drive train and not spend thousands of dollars on little parts here and there.

I began looking for a suitable truck. Turns out they are not cheap, most complete trucks are going for 3.500 to 4,000 around here. I found one on CL for 1,200 with a rusty body, but only 120k on it. That lasted about a day and was gone before I called on it, oh well...

I was wanting to go with a 5spd manual because of the durability and ease of working on it. Seems like the manual trucks go even faster than the auto's.

Again, many hours of searching the classifieds and CL, and I found a 93 engine, trans, transfer case, out of a 1 ton Dodge. It came with the engine wiring, intercooler, engine mounts, starter, etc. The only thing I didnt like was the fact that the trans was the automatic.

Contacted the guy and the trans had been rebuilt and had only 10k on it. I drove up to take a look at it ended up making a deal on it. It was not an entire truck, but I could not pass up the deal I got. I brought it home and began the process of preparing the GMC for its new power plant.

I removed the old trans and Tcase, engine mounts and cross member, pressure washed the frame, and set the Cummins in. It fit pretty well and there is more room than I am used to because it is a straight 6.
Kubb2601 is offline   Reply With Quote