View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #30
Longhorn 69

Re: Heating your shop/garage

burnin oil, I have a 80' x 60' pole barn with the front half 40' x 60' finished off and has in floor heat with a 14' ceiling. I have a central boiler wood stove that I have used for the last 15 years to heat the floor, and a 40 gal water heater for domestic water in the shop, and I also heat my house and a 40 gal water heater in the house. I cut approx 20 to 22 cord of wood per year, and will use most of it depending on the northern Illinois winters. I maybe burned about 18 cord this year and still burning it. I'm sure you are aware of the work it takes to heat this way. If you want to burn wood to heat a shop and house with a wood boiler you need to have a good source of wood. You need to have the time to cut and split the wood, and you have to treat it like a herd of milk cows, someone has to be there to milk them every day. Some one needs to fill the stove once or twice a day. I have a 500 gal propane tank and it gets topped of once a year. We use a gas stove, and water heater in the house, and same in the shop. It is pretty cheap to heat this way, but it is sure labor intense. I am thinking of converting to a gas boiler to heat the shop in the near future. I have enjoyed my set up for a long time and it works great. I'm just getting a little wore out. Ha

69 Longhorn 396, 4 Speed SM 465, PS, PB, No Air
Longhorn 69 is offline   Reply With Quote