View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Build your own canopy/camper/shell?

I haven't built a camper but have thought a lot about doing one ever since I got rid of my old original camper. I'm talking overhead cantilever style, but I've also thought about building a nice clean low-profile cap. I had done repairs on mine on the back corner, when I found out the skin material was available. Very expensive! I haven't checked lately and that was many years ago. I'm sure that type of aluminum is still available somewhere. The cap I think I'd like to do in wood with fiberglass laminated. Either way, though, I want to do the frame with aluminum tube stock.

The downfall of the old campers was the seams and wood frame. That is where they seem to fail. My plan would be to weld up an aluminum square tube frame

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote