View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Going back to OE Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by underliner6 View Post
After searching, I see many threads on going from an OE steering wheel to an Aftermarket but not the other way around.

Can anyone tell me what is needed to replace the old grant wheel in my truck with an original steering wheel? Do I need a new OE steering wheel mounting kit?

Thanks for any insight.
My main issue with Grants was that one came off in my hands in traffic.
Funny stuff when Laurel & Hardy or the 3 Stooges do it, not so funny when it's _you_ and you're downtown. I stuck it back on and white-knuckled my way home. [I think they should be outlawed.]
But I was lucky, the PO had included the OEM wheel with the '71 Jimmy, when I bought it.
I put the stock 17" wheel back on and, for once, it handled better. Pulled thru turns perfectly, and pointed where I wanted it without a second look.
The Grant wheel was twitchy and had to be reclocked a couple times.
With manual steering, a small diameter wheel is a lot of extra work just making turns.
Also the larger diameter wheel gives you a lot more leverage when the P/S fails.
Grant wheels are for kids.
If you [or the PO] lost the original parts, The Car and Truck shops has a lot of the harder-to-find small parts.
I hear the repop steering wheels are not that good. Better to acquire an original wheel and repair it if needed.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-06-2019 at 12:06 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote