View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
K5 MAX

72 K5 Door Alignment Question

Finally getting going on my 72 stage 1 build, bought this in February 2018. Runs and drives but tank was rusted badly. To start, new gas tank, body bushings and to drive it further than 50' to give her a good shake down to see what else she needs to be road worthy. 87-91 K5 tank mock up complete. Doing body bushings since I cant get to the rear 2 once the gas tank is in, they're shot and appear to be original. Noticed the drivers door gaps are a little weird, wanted to get your thoughts on if it was just the hinges or sag due to worn body bushings or what? The K5 has a cut down top due to damage by a PO (said a tree fell on the top and damaged it) so they cut the top and put in a homemade back wall, see pic. It has a crappy roll cage in the front so that might help with the body flex that's typical. The only shims i have found so far from removing 4 body bushing bolts per side from the back moving towards the front are 2 on each side under the Drivers and Passengers floor board body mounts. Vehicle doesn't appear to ever been wrecked to cause the weird gaps and i don't think the tree that damaged the top did any damage to the bedsides. Pics for reference

Initial purchase thread with more pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=757258

72 K5 aka "Gumby"
IMG_0831 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

IMG_0796 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Drivers door
1 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Drivers door rear gap, top gap at bedside 1/16" or less, bottom gap at fender closer to 1/4". Door is sitting 1/4" to 1/2" out at the bottom body line (away from the vehicle) door is hard to close, had to adjust the striker plate out (body side) to get it to fully latch
2 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Drivers door bottom gap, maybe 1/16" to 1/4" front to back
3 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Drivers door, top gap at fender 1/16", bottom gap at fender closer to 1/2"
4 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Drivers side rocker boxes
8 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

9 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Drivers side (under front floor board body bushing-2 shims)
10 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Passenger side door gaps are pretty good, the top front gap at the fender is tight like the drivers side ~1/16" but other wise ok and closes good

Passenger side rocker boxes
5 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

6 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

Passengers side (under front floor board body bushing-2 shims)
7 by Bradley Jones, on Flickr

So do you think, is it hinges, worn body mounts, or do I need another shim on the drivers side at the floor board body mount to raise it up slightly...at a loss on this one. Thanks for the help and comments in advance.

Last edited by K5 MAX; 09-06-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: pics not working
K5 MAX is offline   Reply With Quote