View Single Post
Old 10-26-2002, 09:17 PM   #1
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Update on electrical short

Wasn't able to make it out the last few nights to try to figure out what the short was but did have a few minutes this afternoon to take a look under the hood. First thing I noticed was the battery cable from the remote selenoid to the starter was resting on the frame. Moved it and saw that the frame had worn into the covering to the wires. Sweet, easy fix. As the engine is coming out in a couple days I just get a plastic wire cover and slip it over the wire then replace the fusibile link. Hit the light switch and they light right up. Crank the truck over a few times (takes a few times in the cold with no choke) and get it going. About 20-30 seconds later, I see tons of smoke coming from near the battery. Pull the keys out, jump out and see the fusible link and some other wires bright red and smoking big time. Then I see the wires on the alternator smoking. Great. Start wondering why I've never been smart enough to get the fire extensgisher in the barn.

Thankfully, the smoldering stops, barn stinks to high heavean. Start to look to see what happened and see that the wire the fusible link is hooked to is wasted to the black block on the fender. Then the red wire going in front of the radiator is toasted all the way to the altenator. Where it connects to the alternator the bolt is very loose as if something inside burned or melted.

I have no idea what went wrong, but I guess I will be doing some re-wiring.

Is it likely that the altenator is toast. Doesn't matter as it is being replaced. But what I'm worried about is what cause this to happen. Don't want it to happen when the other engine is in.

Talk about feeling proud of yourself and then scratching your head in disgust in a matter of seconds. Bummer
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote