View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 AM   #46
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Crazy how things work out. Got some updates, no real activity on the truck but did work out some deals to move forward with the project. With no real interest in my '75 (then again, I've not really pushed to advertise it either) and a blown up 12 bolt axle the 75 isn't gaining value at all as a whole. So as usual, Larry's been at work again.

He's found a 14b full floating axle with another like minded square body nut when they were at a local bone yard. The buddy bought it and then proceeded to buy a CUCV Blazer off of Craigslist that already had a 14b and a D60, so he's now got a spare axle he don't need. I get the call that he's looking to unload the 14b. Plus Larry's managed to sell the 91 GMC front clip for what I got into it. It looks like we are upgrading to 8 lug axles at the same time.

Fast forward a few days and Larry lets me know the buddy that the axle came from is in need of a good frame on his CUCV Blazer. Sounds as if the Army and most recent owner were not kind to it. The right hand frame rail is bent and causing alignment issues with the springs/shackles. Plus it's had a home brew front 56" spring swap with some great bubble gum welds and a steering brace that would would make a blacksmith cringe. So I call him up and since my 75 is dead in the water we make a deal for him to buy the frame. I'm keeping the drivetrain and suspension as well as the seats and other bits. The body is too far gone to mess with so it's going to get recycled. I hate to see the full vert top go to waste so I've thrown it on Craigslist but if nobody wants it, I don't have a place to store it so it may go with the tub. (that is just a statement, not intended as an ad outside of the classified section of this site)

It's sad to think about my 75 going the way of the Dodo. But it's sacrifice will allow a couple more K5's to live on with it's parts. It's going to get interesting in the coming months for sure!
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote