View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: Shane's build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE 73Z View Post
Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself & outline the build presently occurring in the garage. This is not my first go round with these trucks. Story time……..

For my first vehicle (1993 or so), my father & I restored a 1969 GMC pickup. It was a mutt. We started with 3 trucks & a pile of parts to end up with a ½ ton long bed, 4wd, sbc, auto. The frame started as a 2wd drive that we transferred the front leaf spring mounts. We rebuilt the 350 and installed it with the supposedly rebuilt trans & transfer case. The truck served me well through my last year of high school & into college. The trans crapped the bed & my father performed a swap to an SM465 & Rockwell T221 case. Not long after that the coupler between the trans & t-case gave up & I parked the truck.

I had been looking for a first gen Camaro as a graduation gift (to myself) from college. Just before graduation in 1997 I found my 73 Camaro Z28(hence the screen name)locally. I had to fix some minor issues & daily drove it, except for winter. When I parked the truck I finally bought a true daily driver. My parents moved away from the house I grew up in & left the parked truck with a friend. Without our knowledge he scrapped the truck due to new city ordinances.

I had worked on my 73 for the last 15 years…….but only mechanically. I enjoyed the car & built it to suit my tastes only. I intended for the car to be a great all around machine that could hopefully tackle an autocross from time to time. It certainly wasn’t the most comfortable car, but it put a smile on my face when behind the wheel. In those 15 years there were only a few instances of it being undrivable and it only ever saw a tow truck once…………due to a failed pressure plate.

To the present…

My father bought a 1969 GMC C1500 long bed a few years ago. About a month ago, he decided he was done with it & asked if I wanted to buy it. I didn’t hesitate for a second. I sold the 73 as a roller minus the rear axle. I intend for this truck to be my new hot rod, mostly for scaring little kids and making black marks here & there.

I purchased a swb coil frame to put under it & am currently looking for a stepside bed. My next post will outline what is currently procured for the build.

Shane

Hi Shane, and welcome to the board!

Interesting background info. Why do you still use the 73Z in your screen name if you sold the car? What is your line of work? The reason I ask is your precision in your narrative and format, plus I like how you've marked the nut's relation to the thread in this pic:

I'd guess an engineer of some sort.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote