View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #58
Willowrun

Re: Had to buy - '77 Suburban

It's been a while so here's what's new:
I've put about 1,000 miles on the Jimmy this summer.
Even though I had cut at least a coil and a half in the front, it just seemed like it needed to come down a little bit more. The last time I made a cut to the coils I cut about a quarter coil and it seemed like it only dropped it about a quarter inch. I figured this time I needed about another half inch lower so I cut about 1/3 of a coil and figured I'd be good. Wrong. Front end dropped almost an inch and a half. I'm sure it is where the end of the coil is positioned in the lower A arm that made the 1/3 coil cut so dramatic. It now had a major rake and it was bottoming on the inner fenders.....sigh.
I decided to get some drop springs, but unfortunately, I hadn't written down the measurements of the front drop as I cut the coils so I didn't know how much of a drop to get on the coils. I ended up ordering 3" drop. They raised it up about a half inch, but have settled some since then so I still hit the inner fenders with my tires on big dips in the road. I also had a rake that I didn't like.
When I initially tore down this Jimmy it had 1/2" lift blocks from the factory in the rear. I held on to them and with the rear axle now over the springs I used the blocks as lowering blocks. Seems to sit right now. Just a little bit of a pain with the front end rubbing every now and then.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote