View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
KevinK7

Brake Light Wiring Question

My question is, "What path does the 12V follow, from the brake light switch(white wire) to the brake lights?"

On my 68 C20 Utility, the wiring has been 'sliced and diced' in many places, one of which is the white wire from the brake switch was CUT from harness and routed straight back to the (upper) brake lights on the utility body. Noting the Utility body has an Upper set of lights (as noted are BRAKE only), and a lower set that properly function as Tail/signal lights.
I'm trying to get the wiring back in (relative stock) order so I'd like to RECONNECT the white wire from the brake switch to the (original) section still in the harness which routes to the curved column connector.

Following the white wire through the harness to the turn signal switch, the attached pic is what I come up with, noting the 'triangles' are in the center position (ie no turn signal).
Am I correct in that the 12V from the brake switch gets to the contact (labelled "X") then through the (RED triangle) "wiper" passes to the other two points of the triangle, ...to the Left and Right tail light wiring eventually to the Yellow and DkGreen wires (respectively) of the rear light harness?

In general, can someone confirm the contact specifics? (ie is the red triangle used for BRAKE lights, and BLUE triangle contact for DIRECTIONALS?

I believe the above to be true, but hoping someone can confirm.

Thanks in advance for any information,

Kevin