View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
SCOTI

Re: 81-87 reproduction brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Wound up trying 2 different brands, both short lines driver side front brake line to prop valve was too short, and the passenger side front brake line bend at the prop valve was to about the same as the first brand that would rub the frame once the prop valve was tightened to the frame.

Bought the rigid double flare tool... its nice, but the flaring bar is not as nice as the 37degree one..
Bought some cheap 3/16 line on amazon to play around with
also picked up inline tube's 3/16 tube bender.

the tube bender is nice, makes clean bends.

Thought I would share some tricks that I couldn't find when searching...
You can bend vibration stress loops...

While the small tube and a tight bend radius is way stiffer than wrapping/bending it around a 1.5 inch piece of pvc pipe or some can.

With the tube nut on, the closest you could make a bend 1.5" to the 0 mark

removed stock handle, found 2 3/8-24 nuts (probably from the 10 bolt rear axle backing plates) and welded them together, the bolt holding it to the die is smaller than 3/8, probably 5/16 which allow a little up and down to center the tube on the die.

basically shaves off .5 off the length between the tube nut and bend. all that's left to do is whip up a handle so I don't have to use a crescent wrench to hold the flats of the welded nuts / or a vice.

figured someone might find it useful, also doesn't damage the tool!

clint
Nicely done.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote