View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
cj847

What does it really take to paint a truck?

I have some ideas but am not sure I have a good list. I was surprised how poor the information was on the internet. Everyone wants to sell you one item, but they don't tell you the accessories you must have to use it. I am wanting to know what it will cost to buy everything. I need a list of EVERYTHING I need. I am debating between an Eastwood roll on primer kit vs buying a spray gun. I am not planning a show paint job just something that looks ok. I think ill take it to a shop for final paint, trying to save money on bodywork and sanding labor.

I think I need:
-body hammers, etc (i have)
-Sandpaper and blocks (multiple shapes and multiple grits)
-bondo
-bondo spreaders and board
-A good compressor (I have)
-a filter/dryer
-a regulator (if not included with the gun)
-a paint gun stand
-paint filters
-gun cleaning kit
-various chemicals
-a paint gun (or multiple guns)

I have seen youtube videos of people claiming to prime and paint a vehicle with one gun and a pancake compressor. I'm calling BS on that. There is no way they are maintaining a decent pattern and a wet edge with a dinky compressor. My compressor is 25 gal with the compressor and motor as separate items (ie not a cheap oil less). And i am questioning if that is enough air.

I just want to avoid thinking I can buy a $50 gun and paint something, when the accessories are going to cost 3 to 10 times that.

Anyway, please let me know what else I need. Thanks in advance.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote