View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #30
71 LS SUB

Re: Ammeter not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Ditto what VetteVet just said about how the system is wired. It doesn't matter what type of alternator is being used so long as it's output is wired into the system at the factory location as shown in the diagram VetteVet posted.

And now that I think about it, an alternator that is connected directly to the battery (instead of the factory junction) could be a possible explanation for a battery gauge indicating discharge all the time. I had overlooked that in 70STOVEBOLT's case since he mentioned having all new wiring harnesses but I suppose it's still a possibility if an extra wire was run directly from the alternator to the battery.

When the alternator output is connected to the battery (instead of to the factory junction point) it allows current to flow directly to the battery, bypassing the shunt wire & battery gauge. So the battery can still receive a charge but the current won't be flowing through the shunt wire and therefore won't be shown on the gauge.

The battery gauge will still show current that flows from the battery (through the shunt wire) to the truck's electrical loads as a discharge (same as it normally does). However, with the alternator output being on the battery end ("wrong end") of the shunt wire, current that flows from the alternator (through the shunt) to the truck's electrical loads will also be shown as a discharge (normally this current is not routed through the shunt wire and doesn't register on the gauge).
All that being said, what would be the recommended fix then...?
thanks
71 LS SUB is offline   Reply With Quote