View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #48
ray_mcavoy

Re: Ammeter not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Unhooked fuses on both sides (broke one $&"*^#!!) and no change.
Sorry, I should have warned you that those little fuses are rather delicate. When you put them back together, putting a little bit of dielectric grease on the rubber will make them easier to separate and reduce the chances of breaking a fuse should you ever need to service them again in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
What would have caused the leaning needle in the first place is the mystery. Both gauges were centered prior to the start of the problem. Very frustrating!
Well, with it disconnected and still leaning, we can at least rule out an electrical issue.

I've never torn one of these meters completely apart to investigate their inner construction. But they feel like they may have a permanent magnet (instead of a spring) inside that is responsible for returning the pointer to the center. I don't know if it would be possible for that magnet to loosen up and shift sideways or not. Or maybe the vane that moves the needle has developed some residual magnetism and is keeping it from centering? You've got me curious now! I'll have to look through my spare parts and see if I can find a junk meter to take apart.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote