Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #75
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

Well here goes the longest overdue update ever.....

Most of 2012 & into 2013 - It looks like I left off while I was living at my first house. I was working out of a 1.5 car garage. I made the progress on it that I could while I lived there, but it was tough as I could only access one side and end of the truck at a time. I'd pick away at it here and there as I could.

Early 2013 - Put running gear and drive train in storage in one of our plant buildings while I worked on the cab I thought I was going to use(I ended up parting the original body).

Summer 2013 - Then I ended up moving to a 2.5 acre property that had a 24x32 horse barn on it that was half (2)stalls, half concrete, and 24x8 of it was a tack room addition. I decided right away I was going to turn it into a shop and possibly add on to it later. I tore down the wall dividing the tack room along with the stalls and it opened it up quite a bit. Although it was much more room than I had in my first garage, it was still pretty limiting, especially with the two posts in the middle of the dirt floor. Only a little better than half of it was concrete with the back half being dirt still, there were posts left from the original structure and stall layout, and there was very limited power on a 30A sub panel with 2 breakers on it for the lights and a receptacle. I ended up running a new 100A sub panel from the house to the barn so I could run the welder and plasma.

2013-Current - Ive worked on it here and there when I can from 2013-2018 making some progress on milestones and then losing steam. RZRs consumed a fair amount of my barn time along with adding on to the barn in early 2017 until I finally made a big push at the end of 2018 which left me with very few minor things left to check off the list only to have the winter cold delay the final tasks. However, without heat at this time, I dont think she would be seeing much road time until spring anyway. Ill complete the last remaining tasks on the list over the next couple of months and take her on her first test drive after a final nut & bolt check.

Here are pics of some of the work that went on over the past 6+ years. They should be fairly organize chronologically:

Running gear heading for storage from my first house

Pulled the cab and had it blasted and primered it. This is actually how it sits today in storage

In storage

2013 - 100A Sub panel and 50A receptacles added to the barn

2014 - Then I impulsively bought this for the body and sold the running gear. I almost broke even on it and it will put off bodywork for several years.

2014 - Taking the running gear to the new to me barn to put the new cab on.

2015 - The cab needed the same modifications that I made to the previous cab and a bit more: modified the brake booster hole to fit the hydroboost mount/nut and turn it into a high hump from the low hump it was. I already had a high hump with the holes in the correct locations from the previous cab.

2015 - Cab and bed on

2015-16 - Mounted the hydroboost and got it hooked up. I recently replaced the high pressure lines with some heavy Parker crimped lines though because somehow one of the Aeroquip lines I was using developed a pinhole leak in it.

Even on the old cab, I could never get the hydroboost to bleed through the power steering pump and always had a whine. I replaced the pump with a unit from I believe a 2nd gen Cummins that has 2 return ports in the reservoir. I made a thread on that but I cant remember if it ended up being the return lines running separately that fixed it or if the pump itself was bad. I can look it up if it would help someone.
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote