Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #1018
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Backup Camera Wiring

Link to backup camera system I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picture:

Turns out, our tailgates already have most of the provisions needed for shoving a wire through the trunnion/hinge. All I had to do was drill one hole in the center of trunnion space in the tailgate and install a grommet. Sorry I got in a hurry and didn't take a picture of this. But the trunnion is hollow (stock hinges) and the bed sides where they mount already have a nice centered hole in them (why I don't know as they don't serve a purpose). I stuck a grommet in the bedside hole as well.

I already posted pics of how I installed my camera in the tailgate, but the wire just gets phished through to the hinge location and pulled through the new hole you drill. I just a wire to phish the wire. Then, you can go ahead and install the trunnion/hinge to the bedside. Then with a helper, I held the tailgate close to trunnion while my helper phished the wire from tailgate into the bedside through the hinge. While I installed the tailgate first on that hinge my helper pulled the wire from underneath the bedside. That’s it, next install other side trunnion on tailgate, slide tailgate into location, bolt on the trunnion to passenger side bed, adjust, tighten all hinge bolts.

Now, you have the tailgate installed, and wire hanging from under driver bedside. This particular camera has a plug you use to connect the remote wireless transmitter. I am going to use the double sided 3m tape already installed on transmitter and stick it on front bed panel between cab and bed. Instruction recommend putting inside vehicle but I am going to open it up and seal the case completely with silicone. But even if you put in cab, the wire you need to phish along frame rail out to rear of vehicle. Connect plug.

Then you need to splice in the hot wire to reverse light wire in truck harness. Then connect ground wire to ground.

I did all this soldering my connections securely and including in my truck American Autowire harness on the frame rail. Ground was connected to frame.

Here is the plug connection from transmitter to camera in tailgate. I connected the plug and taped it with Tessa tape. I also used a little dielectric grease in plug to help seal it from elements.

Here you see the trunnion/hinge on drivers’ side, I forgot to picture the connection during install but you get the point. It feeds out of tailgate, through the center of trunnion, and into the bedside. Then it hangs down and I am snaking it along with rest of tail-light wires. Here you can see I have taped it with Tessa tape (black tape, black wire) and its getting snaked through the rear cross-member.

Pic of the backup camera installed in tailgate.

Now I move on to the cab rear view mirror wiring. I ended up drilling a new hole in top of A-Pillar and snaked the wire up from kick panel. I couldn't go through top of roof and down back side with cab courtesy light wiring because the pinch welds in roof don't allow access. This was next best path for me. I then notched the sun visor mount and snaked the wire over to the rear view mirror location. I drilled another hole behind the rear view mirror mount and installed a grommet. From here the wire will snake through the rear view mirror mount and out the arm hole. Worked out pretty nicely.

Hard to see here, but through the access panels in kick panel I snaked a wire down from top of new hole in A-Pillar and pushed wire through.

Connect plug to mirror wire, wrapped with Tessa tape, phished through sun visor hole to mirror mount.

This end of the wire here was soldered to the rear view mirror. I disconnected these wires during our R&D on the new 3D printed pivot ball for mirror connection to OE mirror mount. So these wires will be re-soldered back to mirror later.

grommet installed.

Sun Visor notched with die grinder and carbide bit.

Now I am just waiting on new 3D printed ball to complete the install. Thanks goes out to member siggyfreud for the 3D printed pieces during the R&D phase. The last step is to solder back the 3 wires to circuit board in rear view mirror and install. The real test is the wireless transmitter location. Instructions say to keep it at same level as mirror, so sticking it between the cab and bed up as high as I can get it should work out. I have not stuck it yet though, just in case I need to drill a hole in bottom of cab and install inside cab somewhere. But I doubt this will be needed. I work with 2.4Ghz WiFi every day and it shouldn't have any problems. As long as cell phones in truck don't interfere.... The kit was designed around SUV and CAR's, so the instructions are thinking you’re putting this in a trunk or rear of SUV, but outside the truck shouldn't be any different but you will need to seal the transmitter if you mount it outside like I am.

I will post more info when I complete this install and test it out.

"It's only money".

Last edited by TA_C10; 12-01-2020 at 02:59 PM.
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote