View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Brettm

Re: 1959 1 Ton Chevy 3800 4x4

Hello

It has been a while since I have posted so I thought I would post my progress. With all of the snow and cold weather I haven't got very much done on the truck except for the running new brake lines to the back end I just need to replace the brake lines to the front and in theory I should be able to stop the truck.

I thought it might be helpful to show anybody who is interested in converting their truck into a 4x4 what I did to make it four wheel drive capable. So after so careful measurement I found that the outside dimension of the frame on the 33 15/16 inches and the outside dimensions on a square body frame is 34" so they are pretty much the same. My donor vehicle is a 84 3/4 ton Chevy. So if you carefully remove he factor spring perches and cold rivets from the donor vehicle the you can swap the perches directly to your task force frame. And the front axle swaps directly under the front spring axles. The front has about a 4 inch lift and so far the rear end has it seems like about a 3-3.5 inch lift I might need to add a couple leaf springs to get the back up. I am not sure yet. But all in all it was a pretty easy way to convert the truck to four wheel drive. A couple of nice benefits was that the rear end ratio was 3.42:1 instead of the 5.11 gears I had. Also you get disc brakes in the front.

Thanks for looking enjoy
Attached Images

Brettm is offline   Reply With Quote