View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #99
75Dually

Re: 68 GMC to a 2003 Tahoe chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SCSS View Post
I've been thinking about that swap for a couple years now, glad to see someone's doing it. As cheap as 2000-206 Tahoes are right now, it's almost cheaper than building up your stock frame. Now you got my wheels turning again.

Great work, look forward to seeing how this goes for you!
It is way cheaper than building up your stock frame. Depending on what you want the truck to end up looking like there will have to be modifications and fab work, but hey this is our hobby, and that's what we do right!

Here is what you get when going this direction. A modern frame with ton's more rigidity than the C10 frame, modern suspension, anti lock brakes, 4 wheel disc brakes, LS!, 4L80E!, and all the other stuff that the Tahoe's have to offer if you want to add them to your ride. There is just so much going in your favor. I think what keeps most folks from going this direction is the lack of kits to make this work. Most guys (and this is not a bad thing BTW) just want to pick up the phone and order the necessary parts to build their truck. I'm cool with that, but if you have the tools and the skills I suggest you try this direction.

Another thing that is interesting is the Tahoe's wheel base is 116" and the short bed C10 is 115". Now for some history. The C10's front wheels are not centered in the wheel arch. They are set back (for what reason I can never understand...) aprox. one inch to the rear. Go look at a bunch of 67-72 C10's and you will start to see it. This extra inch is a blessing because it centers the wheel in the front wheel arch.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this truck turns out and can't wait to see how well it drives.
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote