View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
BAChevyMan

86 Scottsdale - No start

I am a mechanic, but I never learned on these classics. All I do is newer stuff. School didn't even talk about carburetors. I had a recent no start issue on this truck once, but my nephew was over and I started the truck and it was running, but it was still trying to catch up from being started when he hit the gas pedal and snuffed out the engine... haven't gotten it to start since.

Things that are new, coil, cap, rotor, IGN module.

Apparently this engine was rebuilt 3 years ago and then parked, has an edlebrock 1407 carb with electronic choke and intake. Starting fluid don't help at all, if I crank long enough I can see the gas coming out the tail pipe, it has spark. While cranking it it sounds like its trying to catch, if I hold the accelerator to the floor it almost starts. I increased the idle and leaned out the fuel mixture to try to get it to start. Fuel pressure was recently tested and found to be good, and yes it does have gas.

My thoughts are its flooded, and/or cylinder walls washed from so much trying to start. But before I pull the spark plugs out and do a compression check I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting this thing started?
BAChevyMan is offline   Reply With Quote