View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Ekliptix

Re: Install thread- Holley EFI Sniper on '72 402 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
I would be careful using the factory 5/16 return. Don't the directions specifically say to run the return entirely in 3/8?

I installed the sniper on a 79 c-30, and i was going to do the same thing- use a sending unit with a return. its been awhile but swear I got the advice not to do that. I ended up using the bulkhead fitting holley supplies and drilled into my gas tank.

if you were deadset on using the factory return line, I would take the factory metal line off completely and connect the rubber hose right to the sending unit.

edit- PS what headers are you running? looking for some for my lowered big block
Regarding 5/16 return line, Holley's recommendation is a 3psi max pressure loss along the return line to the tank. In my case, the return line will be about 7' of 3/8" rubber hose into about 4' 5/16" factory steel hose to the tank. The pressure loss will be all friction (not hyrostatic), so I can do a calculation of the flow rate the return line would require to create a 3psi pressure loss. I do related stuff for the oil and gas industry within pipeline for my job. I've read online of other ppl using the factory 5/16" return line with this kit with no issues, and in my case only a fraction of it will be 5/16" with most of it being 3/8". I'm trying to avoid drilling into the tank.

Headers are these. They fit will, had to grind a little off the flanges to mount to the heads. https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1hkr/overview/
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote