View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #1100
1976gmc20

Re: post up your camping pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
I think it does. Between the shorter turning radius and shorter body I can still sneak through stuff the guys running with us in the Power Wagon's with Four Wheel Campers had to take completely different lines for. I could hook some switchbacks in one shot where Larry and the longer Dodge/Rams had to take multi-point turns.

The only guys that could out maneuver me and Ian's K5's were the two Toyota's that were with us on the trip. Everybody else running longer trucks had issues when the trail got tight.

With as many times as Larry and I have gone out together I've always been able to get through tight stuff easier even though a K10 regular cab short box isn't that much longer than a K5.

Where the short wheelbase killed me was in the dry river washes we were in quite a bit last week. Some had just the right frequency and amplitude in the washboards that the shorter wheelbase K5's were getting beat up. The longer trucks just ate the washboard better.

Like anything else there is more than one way to get the job done. I'm biased obviously because I love my K5. But the longer stuff has advantages in other areas.
Okay, thanks

Back decades ago when I was trying to go everywhere I could in my K/20, I never found much problem with the long wheelbase. It was usually the width that was a problem, plus I had a shell that stuck up above the cab about a foot that would catch tree limbs or worse, a tree trunk if you were off camber which is often the case. I probably should have bought a SWB K/10 with cab high shell considering what I was trying to do with it,

I just noticed that there was a Suburban with you, and how you had to add overhanging racks for spare tire and gas cans.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote